Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Results Are In

When we began homeschooling at the beginning of this school year, I knew that the SAT test for Ryan would be a big deal.  I guess those tests are always a big deal, but this year, they were a REALLY big deal.  This year, I took the whole testing process personally.  If Ryan bombed the test, I couldn't blame anybody but myself.  Yes, Ryan was responsible for taking the test, but whatever knowledge he had gained to be able to actually sit down and take it was on my shoulders.  If things turned out badly, I couldn't fuss about his teacher.  I wouldn't have a principal to call (not that I ever did that, anyway, but...), and I wouldn't have been able to 'forget about this year and work toward the next' quite as easily.  This time, it was make or break.  If the test showed that Ryan's progress had slowed or stopped, would I still be able to justify the advantages of homeschool?  Did the one-on-one instruction fail us?  Please don't get me wrong, here.  I think there are MANY advantages to homeschool, and they don't all have to do with academics.

 I believe that academics are extremely important, especially for boys.  These 'boys' will grow up to be men...fathers, husbands, and providers.  Our 'boys' can't provide for the families we hope they'll grow up to have without a proper education and skill training, so, yes, academics are absolutely neccessary.  However, another huge advantage is that we get to continue the moral foundation that we build with our kids and integrate that into their academics.  We can teach them how to be gentlemen, how to love the Lord, and how to love their families.  We can teach them how to treat a lady that will all-too-soon become a wife, and we can show them, by example, what satisfactions that determination and hard work will bring. 

So, now that I've gotten my little homeschool plug in, back to SATs.  When I got the results last night, Greg and his wife, Julie, were with me (Craig was home with the kiddos).  I felt like grabbing onto Julie's hand as I opened the envelope, but I thought that might scare her and make her want to run away from me, so I refrained.  I really had no idea what to expect.  I wanted to throw up, actually.  But, me and Julie like each other, so I held back (you're welcome). When I opened it, I wanted to shout a big ol' 'PRAISE THE LORD'.  Out of the 16 areas he was tested in, 9 of them scored at a PHS (post-high school level).  Two of them were at a 10th grade level, two at an 8th grade level, and three at a 7th grade level. To give a reference, Ryan just completed the 6th grade.   His lowest scores came in his language skills, and I fully expected that.  WE.  DO. NOT. LIKE. ENGLISH.  I would repeat it, but its a lot of typing just to reiterate. 

Ryan has never paid much attention to these scores, but when he saw me pretty much hoopin' and hollerin' over this piece of paper, he got a little interested.  I explained everything to him, and he was, quite literally, giddy.  I honestly think he surprised himself.  The point I tried to make was that all of our hard work, our fights, and those hours of solitude pouring over his english book had paid off.  He had made a huge accomplishment, and he was pleased with the work he had done.



I don't say this about him in a boastful manner.  Ryan really doesn't have a big head.  In fact, he wanted to know how awesome I thought it would be if he had gotten EVERYTHING right.  My response to him was even if that had happened, I still wouldn't have been more proud of him than I was at that moment.  He had worked hard, and there was no way I was going to let a 'what if' dampen his little moment. 

We haven't done everything exactly right, and we've gotten tired on way more than one occasion.  I've had to shove Daisee's socks in my mouth to keep from screaming, and he's had to take deep breaths for the same reason, but we're homeschoolers.  At the end of the day, we love being together and we love being a family...all of us.   I'm thrilled to death that we've made it through our first year, and that it was an official success.  I love the kids with all my heart, and I desire to provide them with everything they need to become responsible, honorable, God-loving young men...along with a little lady. 

Thank you for celebrating with us.  I must go now and get started on my lesson plans for next year.  Not really, but I know when I go to sleep tonight, instead of counting sheep, I'll be counting down the days until we begin another school year together.

Love,

Paige

4 comments:

  1. So proud of Ryan!!! He is so smart. I am very glad that they have such a wonderful learning environment. (You have no idea how much I mean that) Congratulations Paige and Ryan!! (and thanks for refraining on the throwing up part...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm... This made me want to cry I'm so proud. I LOVE HIM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Proud of him and you. I just wish every parent of every child I taught would be so concerned. And now you know how I as a teacher feel about my individual students and their scores. it is definitely a reflection of the instruction and the child. I have always believed Ryan was gifted and I am so thankful that he sees that now.

    ReplyDelete