Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Here's The Story...

I have to give a shout out to my friend, Brenda Henson.  I've teased her lots of times about the way she keeps up with the timeline with her and her sweet hubby, Stan.  I think she has it down to the seconds as to when their little love adventure started.  So, thanks to you for the inspiration for today's blog.

Not too long ago, five years ago TODAY to be exact, and in a land called Northport Baptist Church, a spark began to turn into a raging fire.  Ok, well...I love drama.  That raging fire was actually a weak little flame that was nervously lit by two people who were sort of acquainted with one another.  Craig and Paige went on a 'not really a date' date.

The story goes like this:  Our Sunday School class was going to see a production of 'Hello, Dolly' at Shelton State.  One of our class members was in the cast, and it seemed like a good idea for all of us to go and support her and check out the show.  Craig approached me after choir practice one Wednesday night and made the suggestion that we all should go, but he wondered which would be the best night.  I told him that the following night, which would be Thursday, would be the only night I could make it.  So, Thursday it was.  We were all going to meet at McAllister's for dinner, and then make our way down the highway for the 7:00 performance.  I left work on time and went home to change.  I knew I was running late, and I desperately needed to stop for gas, but I didn't have time.  I wheeled into McAllister's on fumes, and I just figured I would ride with somebody else to the show.  I can't remember who arrived first, but after waiting for a few minutes, their were only three of us that showed up.  Keena Calloway, me, and Craig.  Keena was going to eat dinner with us, but she wasn't going to the show because she already had tickets for another night.  Well, do the math and you'll see that it was just me and Craig once dinner was over. Remember that I came into the parking lot with no gas?  Yeah, you see where this is going.  I told him that I was gonna have to ride with him because of my low tank, and he happily obliged.  I knew that Craig was a little on the quiet side, but not me.  I'm a real people person, so the possibility of riding with a mute didn't bother me at all, because there are no awkward moments with Paige.  I can talk the paint off a wall, so you're either gonna participate with me or run like heck when you get the chance.  Surprisingly, we ended up having a good round of conversation, and I think the main topic was storms and the fact that we both enjoyed a good thunderstorm. 

We pulled into the lot, parked the car, and walked inside.  It kinda felt like a date, although it wasn't a date.  IT WAS NOT A DATE.  Craig later told me that he felt nervous about not knowing whether or not he should pay for my ticket.  Why would he pay for my ticket?  IT WAS NOT A DATE.  We made our way to our seats, and the lights went down.   When the lights dimmed, the men in tights came on stage.  I said earlier that there are no awkward moments with Paige, but looking at all these guys dancing around in panyhose was awkward.  We laughed about the men in tights, and when we left, we talked and laughed a lot about the men in tights.

He took me back to McAllister's so I could get in my car and go home.  He asked if I wanted him to follow me just in case I ran out of gas, but I knew I could make it a mile or two down the road to a station.  We said 'goodbye' and left.  On the way home, I thought about the night, and decided that I had a good time with Craig watching 'Hello, Dolly'.  Emalyn Hinton was right.  We might would be a good fit together.  I called him just as I was about to turn into my neighborhood and asked him if he'd like to come over the next night to play cards.  He said yes, so it . . .still was not a date.  We were friends, and we were going to play cards

He showed up around 8, because I intended for Ryan and Gavin to be asleep.  I didn't like the idea of them being introduced to a man that I would date unless it was the real deal.  However, Ryan was still bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.  He was nowhere near going to bed, but I let it go because Craig wasn't really a stranger to him.  For all he knew the piano player at church was just coming to hang out, and he wanted to be included.  Ryan ended up playing cards, too, and it turned out to be lots of fun.  Craig was good to include him and teach him some of the card games that I had no clue about.

Ryan eventually went to sleep, and my evening with Craig ended up around 11:30.  He went home, and we both thought about the non-date we had just had.  We talked, we laughed, and we ate ice cream with a hard-chocolate shell, and we had fun . . .so much fun that we had a real date on July 1, 2006.  There's lots of good stories with that night, too, but I'll save that for another writing.  Just make sure to remind me to tell you about the grown woman that wanted two adult movie tickets, but for kids' prices.

On June 22, 2006 the door to my heart was opened by a man like no other.  He stepped inside, and he's never left.  Not for a second, nor will he ever.  PAIGE in real life is also PAIGE in real love, and I have a wonderful life with someone that I will belong to now and always.

So, Brenda, I hope I've made you proud.  I may not have the seconds down just yet, but you find me a ticker, and I'll give you a run for your money!

Love to all,

2 comments:

  1. Happy 5 year anniversary. I'm so happy for you all!

    Christina Daniels Beltran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw! How sweet and I am very proud of you! Love you and I'm happy for you and the love you two share. You're special!

    ReplyDelete