Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Quick Update

So I think I have 10-15 minutes.  Ready?  GO!

We got home Saturday night, and I really don't think I've ever been so exhausted.  I didn't even take the time to get 'my' pillow out of the van when we got home.  I fell sound asleep on some flat thing that sorta resembles a pillow.  The great news is, Maya slept 8 hours that night, as did we all. 

Sunday is a little more than a blur.  After a good night's sleep, we got up and personally, I couldn't wait to take a shower and doll up a little.  My appliances ended up not working again in Bulgaria, so I just wanted to make sure I still knew how to fix my hair.  I felt so much better.  Isn't it funny how sometimes you just need to see yourself resembling the person you remember?  My grandparents and my parents came over for a while and once they left, jetlag made its presence known.  Oh.  My.  Goodness.  It seriously almost feels like vertigo to me . . . being that tired.  We obviously couldn't wait until bedtime, and it came gloriously quickly.

Maya's cardiology appointment was Monday, and we were elated with the news we received.  We were so worried about her and what we might be facing.  Dr. Colvin, though, ended up taking her off of all of her meds except for one.  Here's the basic situation:  The surgery she had when she was one was to repair a hole in her heart.  It wasn't the typical 'hole in the heart' situations we know of, but this one was a little more involved and dangerous.  There were two aspects to this, and he gave the name, but I honestly can't remember what it was.  Anyway, surgery was done to repair this.  They used a surgical patch to correct the problem, but somehow, the entire hole wasn't covered.  Maya will grow, and her heart will grow, but the patch won't.  Because of this, she'll likely require surgery again to redo this.  It won't be until she's older, though, so we're good for a few years, at least.  Its a tremendous blessing to come off of those meds, though.  We were on a 4x daily schedule, with one of those requiring us to wake her up at night to administer.  So now we're just down to one morning dose, and one evening dose, and we can give it early so she doesn't have to be woken up.

Tuesday (yesterday) was the first 'real' day.  The morning went pretty well, but the rest of the day progressively started to fall apart a little.  Eli came to play with Gavin, and they're boys.  They're loud, they're fast, and they're giddy.  Maya is not loud, fast, or giddy . . . nor does she want anybody else to be.  We're finding that she doesn't do well in semi-chaotic situations, and when you have three other kids, its hard for those situations not to occur at least 37 times daily.  She gets really upset, and the only thing that calms her down is for me to lay her in her crib.  She likes for the mobile to be turned on, but any other noise isn't welcomed.  After about 20 minutes, she's fine and we can start all over.  Initially, I felt bad about that being her only solace, but its all she knows.  Right now, that's her happy place because its familiar.  I talked yesterday with our post-adoption counselor about this, and she assured me that its very normal, and that right now, its important to not allow her to get very stressed about her surroundings.  We want her to be comfortable, but its a process.  She needs to realize that we're here to help her, love her, meet her needs, and just be there.  Not that she always likes for us to 'be there'.  She really doesn't like to be held at all.  Most of the time, she pushes us away after a minute or two, but I have to believe that will change.  Pretty soon she's bound to realize that love and touch are good things, but we're going to allow her to see that on her schedule. 

Otherwise, her adjustment has gone really well, I think.  She eats well (although its a diet of a 4-month old . . . literally), and sleeps really well.  I'm way surprised at how well she sleeps.  Our shortest night's sleep for her was 7 hours so far, so no complaints there.  She enjoys interaction with the kids and the kids enjoy playing with her.  But, again, she has her limitations right now and they're picking up on those.  Everybody is recognizing when its time to STOP for a while. 

Pictures?  Well, I don't have any right now that you haven't seen.  When things normalize a little bit, I'll surely try and remember to get some pictures.  A great one would've been bathtime this morning.  Both girls were in the tub together, and Daisee was thrilled to 'help' give Maya a bath.  Seriously.  Probably the sweetest time they've spent together, considering Maya doesn't even really enjoy her bath yet.  But I'm on it, and I'll post some soon . . . promise.

So.  That get's us all caught up.  Maybe next year  week  . . . in a couple of days I can give the breakdown again.  For now, we're learning to be a family of six.  And that's a good.  thing.

Love,

Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment