Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Bulgarian Grannies Don't Like Cold Feet

Day two has been another success . . . for Maya.

The beginning of day two wasn't a walk in the park for me.  After two hours of sleep night before last, and only about three hours last night, I was a basketcase this morning.  I was tired to the point of feeling just SICK, I was homesick like crazy, and the frustration of the meds was about all I could take.  But, 12:30 came and Maya went down for a nap.  Know who else went down for a nap?  Paige and Craig.  We all slept for three glorious hours.  I'm pretty darn sure it was the best nap I've ever taken.  Probably the most needed nap I've ever had, too.

Maya is a happy girl.  I think we may have pushed her a wee bit far today, though.  We went out for a while this morning.  When we came home, she was ready to stretch out, eat her lunch, and sleep for a while.  Afterwards, we got her to sit up pretty much the whole afternoon playing with us and her toys, with a few breaks in between.  She's not used to this at all, so I think it made her a little ill and grumpy.  She started crying at supper for no apparent reason.  As we got into the elevator to come upstairs, it just made sense that she had probably been a little overstimulated.  She ate her supper, got her diaper changed and her teeth brushed (which was not at all a favorite thing to do for her) and I laid her down in her crib.  Right now, she's rocking herself to sleep again.  She slept for eleven hours straight last night, so hopefully she'll rest well tonight, too.

She doesn't require white noise to sleep.  This is very foreign to me, as every member of our family has a fan in each of our bedrooms.  If you enter our house at night, it pretty much sounds like a tornado simulator.  I've found that we can talk, wash clothes/dishes, turn a light on here and there, and it doesn't wake her up.  I guess when you live in a place with lots of other kids and lots of activity at all hours, you get used to all of the sounds around you.

Believe it or not, its COLD here.  I mean, cold in Alabama terms.  If it gets below 80 in July, that's cold.  We went out this morning and I was wearing my sundress and Maya had on her cute little summertime outfit with her little bare toes hanging out.  After a couple of blocks, we had to go and buy a blanket.  It was about 72 degrees and windy.  The last thing we need is for her to get a cold with these heart issues.  We didn't stay out that long, but we'll try again tomorrow.  Funny thing was that she kept kicking the blanket off.  All these little Bulgarian grannies kept coming up with their Bulgarian jabber that we couldn't understand, but it was very apparent that they didn't like her toes sticking out.  One lady looked like she was singing "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" because she was trying so hard to get us to understand that her 'skinny legs needed to be covered'.  Our advantage was that we could just say "English?" and keep on going.  They didn't know what we were saying, and we kinda pretended not to know what they were saying.  We laughed about that one.

Things are going well, but I sure can't wait to be home.  We've got what we came here for, so in my eyes its time to get outta Dodge.  We still have a couple of legalities to take care of, though, so we're hanging on for a few more days.

Love y'all lots,

Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment