Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Sam's Experiment

Let me start off by making it clear that we ARE NOT wealthy people.  Ok.  Everybody got that?  Good . . . now let's move on.

Since we ARE NOT wealthy people, our family has learned to live on a monthly budget.  This means that at the 1st of every month, Craig and I sit down together and we discuss how much money will come in, and how much money we expect to spend in the different categories we've got lined up.  This works well for us.  Not that everything always works out to the penny, because there's plenty of times money doesn't come in as expected.  And there's plenty of times that things happen that can't be planned for, like car repairs, doctor visits, etc.  But for the most part, we plan pretty well the coming in's and going out's.  Its really helped us in keeping track of our money and being able to save for various things that we want to do, see, and experience.

Another thing its helped us to do is stay out of debt.  Craig and I have been married for seven years, and through careful planning and a little bit of frugality, we've managed to stay debt-free, with the exception of our monthly house payment.  So let me draw your attention back to the first statement.  I don't work outside of our home, so we live off of one income.  We certainly don't live lavishly.  My van is seven years old, and Craig's car is twelve years old, but they're paid for.  Our house is pretty big, but it certainly isn't fancy.  You won't find a single recessed light bulb, Jacuzzi tub, or swimming pool.  For us, its more important to have experiences as a family as opposed to stuff.  Not that stuff is bad, but we just like to have fun more.  The next point is a little bit of a 'grrr' between me and Craig, but I have to say that he's definitely in the right, because he LOVES to save money.  I love to SPEND money.  I'm not a big shopper, but again, I love vacations, roller coasters, and airplanes.  Those things all involve spending more than $20 at a time.  But, we save money and that's important . . . so says Craig.  Yes.  Roller coasters are not importa . . . oh yes they are.  Sometimes.

Anyway, since we became the family that has four children now (see that other post from a couple of weeks ago) we're learning to become even MORE frugal.  I love hand-me-downs, garage sales, thrift stores, and SAM'S CLUB.  So, here's my point . . .

Eating out and daily grocery store trips are no fun anymore . . . not at all.  Eating out sometimes seemed easier because of schedules that kept us here and there, and if I didn't plan a menu ahead of time, that required me figuring meals out on the fly and heading to Publix EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.  I know every single aisle in that store, and I can tell you where an exact item is located on the aisle.  I don't like knowing that information.  If I know it that well, Publix should then hire me to work the phones from home giving out customer service information, so I'd rather be ignorant. 

I had an idea of getting a Sam's card and shopping there monthly for all of the food, personal care, and home cleaning supplies we'd use in a month.  The main goal was to buy all of our meat, lunch food, snacks, and drinks.  So, me and my mom headed down there the first Saturday that came in August.  I didn't have a list, simply because I wasn't sure what all I would find that we'd actually eat.  I wish I had taken a picture of my buggy . . . or buggIES.  I mean, do you know that Sam's buggies are GINORMOUS?  I filled up almost TWO ENTIRE BUGGIES.  It was absolutely awesome.  I bought it all . . . chicken, pork tenderloins, ground round, sandwich meat, cheese, frozen pizzas, chips, brownies, milk, vegetables, frozen BBQ . . . I can't even tell you all the stuff I bought.  What I CAN tell you, though, is that same day, I shooooore did go out and buy myself a deep freezer for the garage.  Filled that joker up.  That day, I spent $525 on food we'd eat for the entire month and for the other stuff we use frequently.  Now, Craig or I will go to Publix once or twice a week for fresh produce, bread, and the 'fillers' that we use for our meals.  But.  In one month, we've managed to save almost $300 from our food budget alone.  If we continue on this track, we'll have saved $3600 by the end of the year.  That's just on food cost alone! 

Please don't take all of this the wrong way.  I'm not writing this out of arrogance.  I've been in the circles of people that were trying to figure out cheaper and easier ways to feed our families, wash our clothes, and still save money in the process.  Many times, I've initiated those conversations just trying desperately to get ideas from other mamas.  But, oh my goodness,  I think I've figured it out!  Its by buying a SAM'S MEMBERSHIP!  $300 saved in a month is an awful lot for us.  I mean, do you realize that's a Six Flags trip?!

I do.  I realize it.  And I might just plan a little vacation for us.  And the Cowart girls, and maybe even Ellen.  But that's a whole 'nuther blog post . . .

Love,

Paige



No comments:

Post a Comment